The company “CANDELA” has now been providing its services to owners of classic sailing yachts for twelve years. CANDELA is located adjacent to the inner basins of the port of La Rochelle and benefits from the port’s excellent support facilities for yachts of all sizes and from the skills and abilities of the craftsmen and specialists who work around the different basins.
Work of the highest standard is assured by the extensive experience of the proprietor Bruno Barbara, and his unrelenting quest for perfection.
The relationships formed with yacht owners are based on shared commitment, mutual respect and honesty.
A solid resource of subcontractors and suppliers gives CANDELA the capacity to deal with all aspects of technical work ranging from a quick and simple repair to a complete yacht restoration.
The marine technical area has a travel lift of capacity 150 tonnes and the hard-standing can accommodate all types of vessel and provide cradles and supports. The local climate is mild enough to allow outside work to be done almost all year round.
Perfectly sheltered in the heart of the city the vast locked-in basins provide direct access to a large hard-standing or “marine technical area” set aside for yacht and boat work, adjacent to which are the sheds of the shipyards and the suppliers.
The local waters, sheltered from the Bay of Biscay by the islands Ile de Re and Ile d’Oleron, are perfect for trial trips.
If you wish we can take complete charge of unloading, de-rigging and laying up of your vessel including safe covered storage of all the gear, spars and rigging. The hull, rig and all equipment can be kept in the secure sheds adjoining the technical area.
A full expertise
As a part of this infrastructure and having access to all these facilities CANDELA’s areas of expertise lie more specifically in :
– Structural work on yacht hulls,
– Replacement of structural timbers, frames and planking,
– Modification of deck plans and equipment,
– Manufacture of interior and exterior fittings, furniture and joinery,
– In general, any item made from wood, complete to finish painting or varnishing.
CANDELA also offers its expertise and abilities in:
– The design and manufacture of metal parts in stainless steel, bronzes and other metals and can make foundry patterns for castings,
– Polishing, chrome and nickel plating,
– Assembly and tuning of rigs,
– Traditional ropework, splicing and wire splicing.